Newbold College of Higher Education was founded in 1901 as Duncombe Hall College in Holloway, North London. Its purpose was to educate ministers and church workers for the Seventh-day Adventist Church. The name of the College has changed many times since then as it has evolved from a missionary training school into a fully-fledged international college of higher education offering degrees and diplomas in a wide range of subjects, but the commitment to the Christian gospel has stayed constant in the hearts of many staff and students.
The village of Binfield in the county of Berkshire, where the College has been situated since February 1946, has a rich history of its own. Less than 11 miles (17 kilometres) from Windsor Castle, it was part of the ancient Royal Forest of Windsor. It was also for a time the home of the great eighteenth-century poet, Alexander Pope, and the surrounding countryside was the inspiration for some of his poetry.
In 1945, the College authorities purchased Moor Close, former home to a bankrupt millionaire, as the first part of what has become the present campus. One of the reasons for this choice was its proximity to the great research libraries, museums and art galleries of Oxford and London – both cities about an hour away. What was not foreseen at the time was the building of Heathrow Airport, some 40 minutes away, which is a bonus for international students. Furthermore, Gatwick Airport is just one hour away by train.
The list below provides chronological bullet points delineating the history of the College since 1901.
CHRONOLOGY OF NEWBOLD COLLEGE OF HIGHER EDUCATION
|1901||Founded as Duncombe Hall College, London.|
|1902||First classes. College moves in the summer to Holloway Hall, London.|
|1904||Moves to Manor Gardens, London. Name changes to Duncombe Hall Training College.|
|1907||Moves to Stanborough Park, Watford. Name changes to Stanborough Park Missionary College.|
|1921||Re-named to Stanborough Missionary College.|
|1923||Re-named to Stanborough College.|
|1931||Moves to Newbold Revel, Warwickshire. Name changes to Newbold College.|
|1941||Moves to Packwood Haugh when Newbold Revel is requisitioned by the Royal Air Force.|
|1946||Moves to Binfield. Name changes to Newbold Missionary College.|
|1956||Affiliated with Columbia Union College.|
|1961||Re-named to Newbold College.|
|1983||Affiliated with Andrews University to replace CUC affiliation.|
|1992||Accredited by The Council for National Academic Awards and subsequently by The Open University through Open University Validation Services.|
|1998||Re-affiliated with Columbia Union College (now Washington Adventist University) for Business provision.|
|2004||Theology provision offered in partnership with and accredited by The University of Wales Lampeter (now The University of Wales Trinity St David).|
|2008||Business provision franchised through The University of Wales Trinity St David.|
|2008||Accredited by The British Accreditation Council for Further and Higher Education.|
|2009||Awarded UK Border Agency Sponsor Licence Number HPVKUDTU1 (A-rated) for Tiers 2, 4 and 5.|
|2010||Reviewed positively by The British Accreditation Council for Further and Higher Education.|
|2012||Affiliated with Theologische Hochschule Friedensau, Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany.|
|2012||Granted Highly Trusted Sponsor status by the UKBA, subject to educational oversight by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.|
|2012||Granted educational oversight by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education.|
|2013||Re-named to Newbold College of Higher Education.|
|2015||Granted a new partnership with the University of Wales Trinity Saint David, with subsequent validation of undergraduate and postgraduate Theology provision.|