The Executive Secretary is one of the three administrative officers of the church (the other two being the President and the Treasurer). The primary responsibilities of this department are:
- To help forward the work of the church in accordance with the plans and policies agreed upon by the British Union Conference Executive Committee.
- To liaise with the two Conferences (North and South England) and three Missions (Ireland, Scotland and Wales) to help with the application of policy; gather statistical information.
- To coordinate with missionaries serving in other parts of the world or within the British Isles.
- To lead on all matters relating to HR, pensions and policy.
In some ways Secretariat could be seen as the 'service arm' of administration. However, it is vitally important for the efficiency and smooth running of the Church organisation and has as its motto: "Love in Service".
Pension Matters:The BUC and other Employing entities chose to use Legal and General as our Group Personal Pension Plan provider. Individual employees can view the Seventh-day Adventist Group Personal Pension scheme details at the Legal and General mirco-website.
Members of the plan can use the "manage your account" tab and register with the details that Legal & General have issued to them. There they can view the default funds their pension contributions are invested in as well as make changes if they wish.
On 31 December 2013 the Seventh-day Adventist Retirement Plan was closed to new members and to new accrual by existing members at that date. This followed a period of consultation that had taken place between 1 October and 30 November 2013. A consultation announcement letter had been sent out for all employees on 30 September 2013 and an announcement letter regarding the decision to close was sent out on 17 December 2013.
Documentation: e’Bulk CRB Checks
Access Disclosure Applications Website here: DBS Disclosure Applications.
Statement of Ethical Foundations for British Union Conference staff. This is the level of service you can expect from Adventist staff and ministers.
BUC Constitution. Updated July 2011.
SDAA Constitution and Memorandum of Association.
Statements and guidelines:
These include the BUC Policy Book, Child protection (KCFS), Domestic Violence & Sexual Harassment, Health and Safety Policies and guidance on the Sexual Orientation Regulations.
BUC Policy book
Individual sections are downloadable below, or click here for entire BUC Policy Book document.
Table of Contents
Employee Policy on Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment (pdf file)
- B.General Denominational Guideline
- C.Conditions of Employment
- D.Employees' Welfare
- F.Ireland Isle of Man
- H. Health & Safety
- SDA Health and Safety Policy Statement - Dec 2009
- SDA Codes of Safety Practice - Dec 2009
- KCFS December 2009 Updated March 2011
Guidelines for Seventh-day Adventist Churches with reference to the impact of the Sexual Orientation Regulations, 2007
SORs 2007 Guidelines to Churches (pdf file - 80 kb)
Statement on Government Proposal on same-sex marriages, March 2012.
Keeping Our Church Family Safe - Policy Document on Abuse, amended December 2009Keeping our Church Family Safe (pdf file updated March 2011)