DEATH OF LEONARD LANE
7th July 2017
It was with sadness that we learned of the death of Pastor L A D Lane on Tuesday 4 July 2017, aged 93.
Leonard was born in Gendia, Kenya on 30 November 1923 to Pastor Leonard E A and Mrs Lois Lane. When the family returned to the UK Leonard attended primary school at Fletewood School in Plymouth and later at Duncombe Road Junior School in Islington. His secondary school years were spent at University College Grammar School in Hampstead, Lowestoft Secondary School and Southgate County Grammar School.
Leonard studied for the ministry at Newbold College, graduating with a Ministerial Diploma in May 1948. While at Newbold he met Jean Mary Smith who went on to work as a teacher at Stanborough School in September 1948, while Leonard commenced employment as an intern in June 1948 assisting Pastor W G Nicholson in Belfast. In 1949 he moved to assist Pastor A H Cowley in evangelistic work in Coleraine. It was while he was here that Leonard and Jean were married in her home town of Cardiff. A move to the NEC in August 1950 saw Leonard assisting Pastor B F Kinman in Leeds. Here the family increased with the birth of their first son, Martin in January 1951. In 1951 Leonard did evangelistic outreach in Wakefield and in 1952 was made district leader in Rochdale and Oldham. While here a second son, Robin was born in September 1953. Between 1954 and 1956 Leonard was part of the Pastor K Lacy evangelism team in Birmingham and then the family moved in September 1956 to be Teesside district pastor. While the family were living in Stockton, Howard was born in May 1957. In 1958 the family moved west to pastor in Carlisle and then south in 1960 to be the district pastor for Derby and Burton. While in Derby, Trevor was born in December 1961. Further moves in the NEC to Merseyside in 1963 and Nottingham in 1966 followed.
In September 1969 the family moved to the Welsh Mission and the district of Swansea and Port Talbot. Thereafter followed a more settled period of pastoral leadership and evangelistic outreach in the districts of the Welsh Mission until retirement at the end of June 1988 after forty years of dedicated service to the Church. Leonard and Jean settled in Telford and continued to be active supporters of the mission of the Church.
A quiet, gentle, principled man of God is now at rest. Our thoughts and prayers are extended to Jean and their sons and their wider family and we look to that day when Jesus will return and the separation caused by death will be no more.
will be on 17 July at 1pm at Hadley Methodist Church,