MAIDENHEAD: CHURCH WITH A GABERDINE BACKGROUND AND 'ROYAL' APPROVAL...ON THE MOVE
11th July 2017
The local Adventist church in Maidenhead was established in 1974, during the ministry of Pastor Billy Fraser, and met in a succession of hired halls for 35 years. A building fund was started from day one, and in 2009 the congregation funded the South England Conference to purchase the well-positioned Burberry Gospel Hall in St Marks Road. This is a wood and corrugated iron building ('tin tabernacle') built in 1914 through the generosity of Thomas Burberry, founder of the Burberry fashion house and inventor of gaberdine. It served initially as an interdenominational mission hall before adoption by the Methodists.
The hall has some pleasing authentic chapel features internally, but lacks adequate facilities. Immediately plans were laid, with the support of the Conference, to enhance or replace the building. It was hoped that this would progress rapidly but after a number of different proposals and applications, and much deliberation and prayer, a successful approval (finally without any restrictive conditions) has now been achieved from The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.
A contract for demolition and the new construction has been awarded (a nine-month project), and from Sabbath 22 July, the church will be meeting in the pretty, historic Berkshire village of Waltham St Lawrence, some five miles south-west of Maidenhead. The location is, The Neville Hall, Milley Road, RG10 0JP: Sabbath School 10:15 am; Family Worship 11:30 am.
Maidenhead church looks forward to welcoming you!