Internal Financial Controls Officer
(Candidates must be educated to degree level in accounting, finance, business or a related professional qualification and have worked in a corporate mainstream environment)
Closing date – 12 Noon Friday 25 April 2019
This is a newly created role reporting to the NEC Treasurer. The main focus of the role is to strengthen the existing governance around financial spend and to review all internal financial controls and related policies and procedures with a view to making recommendations in line with best practice and statutory requirements. This role will be key in supporting the NEC Treasurer to tightly control spend. Key competencies of the role includes delivering improvements, providing guidance to the NEC officers, directors and employees and leading by example maintaining confidentiality.
You will be a baptised member of the Seventh Day Adventist Church and preferably have a good understanding of the organisational culture and structure. You must be educated to degree level in accounting, finance, business or a related professional qualification and have worked in a corporate mainstream environment. Sound financial commercial acumen and up to date practical working knowledge in the areas of expertise as outlined above is key. You will have sound numerical and written skills and highly computer literate in word and excel. The successful candidate will have line management experience and leadership qualities as the person will at times have the delegated authorities of the Treasurer.
• Must have worked in a mainstream corporate environment
• Review internal financial control policies and procedures for recommend improvements as required
• Identify gaps in the key internal financial controls
• Develop and implement key internal financial controls identified as missing
• Ensure all key internal financial controls are adequately documented and evidenced
• Develop a plan for on-going and periodic monitoring of key internal financial controls
• Evaluate key internal financial controls and compliance with internal financial control policies and procedures
• Report identified deficiencies and risks together with recommendations for improvement
• Escalate to the NEC Treasurer where adequate progress is not being made to implement recommendations
• Review the responses to internal and external audit recommendations and escalate to the NEC Treasurer where these are not implemented in a timely and robust manner.
• Educate and train others on internal financial control to address specific related learning and development needs
• Schedule of key internal financial controls
• Control monitoring plan and report
• Controls Management Information (MI)
• Recommendations for improvement
• Internal financial control policies and procedures documentation/improvement
• Recommendations tracker
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
• Educated to degree level in accounting, finance, business or a related professional qualification
• 3 – 5 years’ experience in managing or auditing internal financial controls in a corporate mainstream environment
• Competent in documenting and evaluating internal financial control policies and procedures
• Analytical, structured, pragmatic and organised with attention to detail
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Able to address issues and effect change through stakeholder management
• Ability to demonstrate a professional and objective perspective at all times
• A resilient character with the ability to manage expectations
• Ability to work independently and to manage multiple projects simultaneously
REMUNERATION (TOTAL REWARD PACKAGE)
Remuneration and terms of employment will be in keeping with denominational policies and are available on request.
The NEC office is committed to good working relationships, Christian service and the values of the Seventh-day Adventist faith.
For a full comprehensive role profile or to submit your curriculum vitae please email: email@example.com
GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR)
North England Conference (“NEC”) is a "data controller". This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. Please visit the NEC website to view our “Privacy Notice” because you are applying for work with us (whether as an employee, worker or contractor). It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used, namely for the purposes of the recruitment exercise, and how long it will usually be retained for. It provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR).